Servings 10 to 12, about 1 cup per serving
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cups of water
- 3 cups (16 ounces) of dry black beans
- 1 tablespoon of Maggi® Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Place bacon on paper towels to drain. Once cooled, chop and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to drippings in skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Place water, beans, cooked vegetables, bacon, bouillon and bay leaf in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Once beans are tender, use a potato masher to mash some of the beans to thicken the soup to desired consistency.
- Serve topped with sour cream and chopped cilantro, if desired.
With the flu still roaming our towns, it’s only best we have some soup…and do try out this delicious black bean soup and enjoy!!