Source: Hotel Mocking bird hill all the way in Jamaica
Picture source: Breadfruit porridge & Trees that feed
Recipe by: Barbara Walker
Recipe type: Breakfast
WHAT YOU NEED:
- ½ medium ripe “fit” Breadfruit ( the picture shows a green one )
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 pints Coconut milk
- 1 pinch Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Vanilla
- Sugar to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Heat coconut milk with the nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla in a pot. In the meantime remove skin and heart from the breadfruit. Cut it into small pieces and then puree in a blender.
- Add puree to the coconut milk mixture, add the salt. Allow to boil, occasionally stirring the pot. When the breadfruit is cooked, sweeten to taste.
- A tip from our gardener : is to add some grated carrots which adds colour and some texture; carrots also have their own sweetness. We have sprinkled some raisins and toasted almonds just before serving.
- Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top just before serving.
Interesting for me coz we have lots of breadfruit in fiji and we can make use of it this way…making use of what we have 🙂 Enjoy!