“This is a hearty soup of yellow lentils and sweet potatoes. Adjust the seasoning as you like with the jalapeno, and garnish with your choice of cilantro or green onions.”
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 1/2 cups dry yellow lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced(Opt)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Rinse lentils under running water; drain. Place lentils, 2 1/2 cups water, and turmeric in a medium pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cubed sweet potato in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes (time may vary depending on size of potato pieces). Once tender, mash sweet potato and lentils together; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until lightly browned. Stir in tomato, jalapenos, salt, and pepper, and continue cooking another 3 to 5 minutes. Place lentils, vegetables, and potatoes in a stockpot over medium heat. Stir in water as needed to attain desired consistency. Serve warm with cilantro or green onions.
recipe for the week