Hawaiian Local Style Recipe – Delicious chocolate haupia squares on a tasty macadamia nut crust. Enjoy!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package or can (12 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 7 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate bars
- 1 container (8 oz.) cool whip
- Shaved chocolate and shredded coconut, optional
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Crust:Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Mix together flour, sugar and macadamia nuts. Then add butter and cream together. Press dough onto bottom of pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
- Haupia filling:In a saucepan, add sugar, milk and coconut milk. Cook over medium high heat, whisking continuously. Bring almost to a boil. Remove and lower heat. Whisk together cornstarch and water. Add to saucepan and cook on medium heat until mixture thickens; whisking continuously.
- Seperately, break chocolate bars and add to saucepan. Melt on medium low, stirring until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add half haupia mixture to chocolate and stir. Pour over crust.
- Pour remaining haupia over chocolate mixture.
- Let haupia and chocolate set in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Top with cool whip.
- Garnish with shavings from chocolate and shredded coconut, optional
Somewhat like a coconut pie 🙂 lovely local recipe to try and enjoy!!