Credit: Tesco Real Food
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 650g cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced into small chunks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 110g self-raising flour
- 40g demerera sugar (sugar that is slightly bigger than the usual) plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 40g cold salted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- custard, cream or ice cream to serve
- 1 ½ tbsp of water
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Heat oven to 200°C. Place the cooking apples, caster sugar, vanilla and 1 1/2 tbsp of water in a saucepan and gently cook for a few minutes until the apples have softened. Taste and add a little more sugar if needed, depending on how tart the apples are. Transfer to a greased ovenproof dish.
- Place the flour, demerera sugar and butter into a mixing bowl and rub with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the oats. Scatter onto the apples and then sprinkle the extra sugar on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
LOVELY recipe the kids can enjoy while still on holiday…enjoy and try it!!